Iran's foreign ministry spokesman says he has no information about a U.S. military report that U.S. forces shot down an Iranian drone last month over Iraq.
Hasan Qashqavi spoke Tuesday, one day after the U.S. confirmed reports that it had tracked an unmanned Iranian aircraft that had spent more than an hour in Iraqi airspace before shooting it down.
A U.S. military spokesman said the reported February 25 overflight "was not an accident on the part of the Iranians."
Earlier in February, Iran announced that it had produced a surveillance drone.
The U.S. spokesman did not explain why confirmation of the shoot-down had been delayed. Under the previous U.S. administration, Washington was quick to accuse Iran of meddling in Iraqi affairs and of arming anti-U.S. insurgents, and worked to isolate the Iranian government.
The U.S. policy toward Iran is currently under review, and President Barack Obama has offered the possibility of talks with Iranian officials.
Some information for this report was provided by AFP and AP.