Accessibility links

Burma Arrests Australian Publisher

Officials say the Australian publisher of an English-language newspaper in Burma has been arrested in what an associate says is a business dispute.

Ross Dunkley, who co-founded the Myanmar Times in 2000, was arrested late this week and is being held in Rangoon's Insein Prison.

Dunkley owns 49 percent of he publishing company Myanmar Consolidated Media. The arrest comes after reports of a growing conflict between Dunkley and Burmese shareholder Tin Htun Oo, holder of the remaining 51 percent of the company.

A Burmese official said the arrest has nothing to do with the company.

Some information for this report was provided by AP, AFP and Reuters.