Accessibility links

Breaking News

Glen Campbell Bids Farewell to Recording Career With Final Album

Glen Campbell Bids Farewell to Recording Career With Final Album
Glen Campbell Bids Farewell to Recording Career With Final Album

Singer Glen Campbell is saying farewell to his illustrious recording career with his final studio album, “Ghost On The Canvas.”

When Glen Campbell announced that he had Alzheimer’s disease, fans thought he would retire and never be seen again. But, at age 75, Campbell had no interest in calling it quits. He released a new album while embarking on a tour of the U.S. and Europe.

The album, which critics have described as “a musical biography,” marks the end of a career that garnered numerous music awards and best-selling records, film roles and a network television variety show, “The Glen Campbell Goodtime Hour.”

Campbell grew up wanting to become a jazz musician, but, at the time, decided there was more work for pop and country artists. As one of the era’s busiest studio musicians, he performed alongside Elvis Presley, Frank Sinatra, The Beach Boys and other headliners. Later, he became an international headliner himself with such hits as “Gentle On My Mind” and “Wichita Lineman.”

After learning he had Alzheimer’s disease in 2009, Glen Campbell decided to record one last album while he was still in good health.

In the liner notes, Campbell writes, “‘Ghost On The Canvas’” is the last studio record of new songs I ever plan to make.” He calls it a series of snapshots of his life and career, “a life that’s been greater than I ever could have imagined.”

The album comes with a little help from his friends; songwriters Paul Westerberg, Jakob Dylan and Julian Raymond, as well as guest vocalist Chris Isaak and fellow guitarists Brian Setzer, Rick Nielsen, Dick Dale and Billy Corgan.

Four members of Campbell’s family are performing with their father on his current farewell tour, including Cal and Ashley Campbell of the band Instant People. The tour travels to England, Scotland and Ireland before returning to Branson, Missouri on December 2.