High Profile Abductions in Venezuela
- Venezuelan TV journalist kidnapped in Caracas
- Boxing world champion Antonio Cermeno abducted, killed in Caracas
- Costa Rican trade attache abducted and released in Caracas
- Mexican ambassador and his wife abducted and released in Caracas
- Chilean consul abducted, beaten and released in Caracas
- Washington Nationals baseball player Wilson Ramos abducted in Valencia and rescued
A Venezuelan TV journalist has been reported kidnapped by armed, masked men in the western section of the capital, Caracas.
According to her father, Globovision news channel chief correspondent Nairobi Pinto was taken captive Sunday at the entrance to her apartment building. Her whereabouts remain unknown.
In a local radio broadcast, Pinto's father asked the kidnappers to "see sense" and release his daughter.
Police officials have not commented on the case.
Venezuela is among the most violent countries in Latin America. During the past month and a half of ongoing protests, demonstrators have complained about high crime rates, along with soaring inflation and the scarcity of basic goods.
Kidnappings, especially for ransom, are not uncommon in Venezuela, and a number of diplomats, as well as businessmen and athletes, have been abducted during the past years.
While the majority of those kidnapped for ransom are released hours or days after they are taken, some kidnap victims have been killed or died from injuries sustained during their ordeal.