The president of Guinea’s Research Institute on Democracy and Rule of Law, a non-governmental organization, said Guineans are anxiously waiting to vote after the electoral commission proposed August 14 as the date for the presidential election run-off.
Attorney Thierno Balde said Guinea’s transitional president-general, Sekouba Konate, will now have to sign a decree before the proposed date becomes official for the election run-off.
Guinea’s Electoral Commission (CNE) proposed the date after holding discussions with the two presidential aspirants. Former Prime Minister Cellou Dalein Diallo and Alpha Conde will contest in the election run-off vote.
“The CNE had been organizing several meetings in the last days to find out exactly when they will be able to carry out the elections. So, they decided on the date [August 14] and they need to send the date to the President of the Transition, General Sekouba Konate, so that he can call the elections by decree,” Balde said.
Under Guinea’s constitution, only the two leading presidential candidates in the first round of the June 27 election are eligible to participate in the run-off vote.
Former Prime Minister Cellou Dalein Diallo, who won the most votes in the first round election, signed a deal Wednesday with third-place finisher Sidya Toure.
The agreement stipulates that Mr. Toure's Union of Republican Forces (UFR) party is promised the post of prime minister and 30 percent of all cabinet positions should Mr. Diallo win a second-round election.
Sixth-place finisher Ibrahima Abe Sylla, the candidate of Guinea’s New Generation for the Republic Party and the former ruling PUP party, also signed the agreement to support Mr. Diallo.
Attorney Balde said, despite placing second, a lot of political parties see the prospects of the Rally of the Guinean People (RPG) attractive enough to enter into an alliance with Alpha Conde ahead of the vote.
“So far, some 14 parties have reached agreement with Alpha Conde’s RPG. And, there are some other parties which have entered into agreement with the UFDG (Union of Democratic Forces of Guinea) of Mr. Cellou Dalein Diallo,” Balde said.
Last week, Guinea's Supreme Court upheld the preliminary results of the 27 June first-round vote, ruling Mr. Diallo won 44 percent, followed by longtime opposition leader Alpha Conde with 18 percent.
The ruling paves the way for the second-round which will see Guinea return to constitutional rule after the military took over 18 months ago following the death of long time President Lansana Conte.