Israel defense officials say troops accidentally shot and killed a Palestinian man Friday during a pre-dawn raid in Hebron.
The military has released a statement saying it "regrets" the incident.
The shooting took place as Israeli troops were searching for a Hamas militant who lived in the same building. He was one of six Hamas fighters freed from prison, Thursday, by the Palestinian Authority.
Hamas spokesman Sami Abu Zuhri condemned both Israel and the Palestinian Authority for the shooting.
Meanwhile, Israel's air force says it bombed a suspected terrorist base in northern Gaza late Thursday as well as a smuggling tunnel in southern Gaza, following rocket fire from Gaza into southern Israel earlier in the day.
An Israeli Defense Force statement says more than 10 rockets and mortar shells were launched into Israel from Hamas-ruled Gaza during the first week of 2011. The statement says Israel holds the Hamas "terrorist organization" solely responsible for the incidents and for maintaining calm in the region.
Also Thursday, Palestinian medical officials said Israeli troops shot and killed two Palestinians near the Gaza Strip border.
Israeli military officials say troops had opened fire late Wednesday on a group of Palestinians who were attempting to unlawfully cross a border fence.
|NEW: Follow our Middle East reports on Twitter|
and discuss them on our Facebook page.