News / Europe

'Right Wing' Man Charged in Norway Massacre

Armed police officers are seen on the island of Utoya, Norway, July 23, 2011
Armed police officers are seen on the island of Utoya, Norway, July 23, 2011

Multimedia

Audio

Norwegian police are questioning the suspected gunman who shot and killed at least 85 people at a youth summer camp hours after he allegedly set off a bomb blast that killed seven people in the capital, Oslo.  Police are also investigating the possibility there might have been a second gunman involved in the attack.

Police say the primary suspect in the attack is Norwegian Anders Behring Breivik, 32.  They say Breivik has posted extreme right-wing and anti-Muslim comments online.

A screen grab of the Twitter account reported to belong to Anders Behring Breivik with a single message that reads, "One person with a belief is equal to the force of 100 000 who have only interests," July 23, 2011
Photo: Twitter
A screen grab of the Twitter account reported to belong to Anders Behring Breivik with a single message that reads, "One person with a belief is equal to the force of 100 000 who have only interests," July 23, 2011.

But at a news conference Saturday, Prime Minister Jens Stoltenberg said it is too soon to draw any conclusions about what motivated the attack.

"Compared to other countries I would not say that we have a big problem with right-wing extremists in Norway," Stoltenberg said.  "But we have some groups - we have followed them before - and our police is aware that there are some right-wing extreme groups or at least has been some groups of that kind in Norway."

Footage of youth summer camp, Oslo bombing, and Prime Minister Jens Stoltenberg

Two separate violent attacks took place on Friday. In mid-afternoon at least one bomb exploded near the Prime Minister's offices in central Oslo. Within hours, at least one gunman opened fire at a youth camp on nearby Otoeya island.

Young people aged 14 to 18 were gathered for a summer camp organized by the Prime Minister's Labor Party. They fled in panic as the gunman, dressed as a police man, opened fire, reportedly shooting at random.  Video shows bodies floating in the water around the island.

Norway's national news agency NTB said Saturday that witnesses on the island have told police two people were involved.  They said the man already in custody was disguised as a policeman, wearing a sweater with a police emblem on it, but that the second man was not.

Media reports in Norway also say the Oslo bomb was made from fertilizer and that a supplier linked a company owned by Breivik to the purchase of fertilizer.

Prime Minister Stoltenberg says the country is united in grief.

"Norway is a small country, but we are a proud country, and we are all very close especially in the times like this," Stoltenberg said.  "And I think that all Norwegians feel very close to those who are victims of the violence in Oslo and the youth camp of the young Labor party Otoeya."

On Saturday, Stoltenberg traveled to a hotel near the island, where rescue teams have been transporting survivors.  Meanwhile, Emergency teams in downtown Oslo are also still at work looking for bodies and survivors of the massive blast that tore through the Prime Minister's office and the finance ministry.

Mikal Hem, a journalist based in Oslo, told VOA the explosion could be heard from many kilometers away.  

"We heard an explosion and the building was shaking," said Hem.  "I ran to the window and I saw smoke coming up from the Prime Minister's office."

He says walking past the site later, he saw buildings in tatters.

Hem says Norwegians are in mourning, a grief he says is heightened by the youth of those targeted on the island.

"This is the most terrible incident in Norway since the war so people are shocked and disturbed and sad," Hem added.  "These are people as young as 14, 15 years old. It's just terrible."

In an annual report released earlier this year, Norway's police security agency noted a rise in far-right activity, but said that growth was limited by a lack of strong leadership.

This is the deadliest attack in Europe since 2004, when a train bombing in Madrid killed 191 people.

You May Like

China Investigates Former Powerful Security Chief

Former security chief and member of Politburo Standing Committee, Zhou Yongkang, under investigation for suspected 'serious disciplinary violation' More

India, US Look to Reset Ties During Kerry Visit

This week's talks will be first high level interaction between two countries since Prime Minister Narendra Modi took charge More

Video Young African Leadership Program Renamed to Honor Mandela

YALI program, launched by President Obama in 2010, aims to build skills in business, entrepreneurship, public management and civic leadership More

This forum has been closed.
Comments
     
There are no comments in this forum. Be first and add one

Featured Videos

Your JavaScript is turned off or you have an old version of Adobe's Flash Player. Get the latest Flash player.
Vietnamese Staging Chinese Product Boycott After Oil Rig Spati
X
Reasey Poch
July 28, 2014 7:18 PM
China recently pulled an oil rig from an area of the disputed South China Sea that Vietnam also claims. Despite the action, the incident has had a lingering effect on consumers in Vietnam. VOA's Reasey Poch reports from Hanoi on an effort to boycott Chinese products.
Video

Video Vietnamese Staging Chinese Product Boycott After Oil Rig Spat

China recently pulled an oil rig from an area of the disputed South China Sea that Vietnam also claims. Despite the action, the incident has had a lingering effect on consumers in Vietnam. VOA's Reasey Poch reports from Hanoi on an effort to boycott Chinese products.
Video

Video ESA Spacecraft to Land on a Comet

After a long flight through deep space, a European Space Agency probe is finally approaching its target -- a comet millions of kilometers away from earth. Scientists say the mission may lead to some startling discoveries about the origins of the water on earth. VOA’s George Putic has more.
Video

Video Young Africans Arrive in US for Leadership Program

President Barack Obama's Young African Leadership Initiative has brought hundreds of young Africans to the United States for a six-week program aimed at building their knowledge and skills in fields such as public administration and business. Out of the 50,000 young Africans who applied for the program, just one percent was accepted. VOA's Laurel Bowman caught up with some of those who made the cut and has this report.
Video

Video In Honduras, Amnesty Rumors Fuel US Migration Surges

False rumors in Central America are fueling the current surge of undocumented young people being apprehended at the U.S. border. The inaccurate claims suggest the U.S. will give amnesty to young migrants from the region. As VOA's Brian Padden reports from Honduras, these rumors trace back to President Obama's 2012 executive order to halt deportations for some young undocumented immigrants already living in the United States.
Video

Video Students in Business for Themselves

They're only high school students, but they are making accessories for shoes, fabricating backpacks and doing product photography - all through their own businesses. It's the result of a partnership between a non-profit organization that teaches entrepreneurship and their schools. VOA's Mike O'Sullivan and Deyane Moses met the budding entrepreneurs near Los Angeles.
Video

Video Astronauts Train in Underwater Lab

In the world’s only underwater laboratory, four U.S. astronauts train for a planned visit to an asteroid. The lab - called Aquarius- is located five kilometers off Key Largo, in southern Florida. Living in close quarters and making excursions only into the surrounding ocean, they try to simulate the daily routine of a crew that will someday travel to collect samples of a rock orbiting far away from earth. VOA’s George Putic has more.

AppleAndroid