News / Asia

Philippine Officials Admit Failure in Hostage Shootout

Ira Mellman

Flags flew at half staff in Hong Kong Tuesday. One of the newspapers there displayed a headline that read “Philippino Police Incompetent" and protestors gathered to demonstrate outside of the Philippines consulate.

In Manila, Alberto Lim, the Philippine Secretary of Tourism told an interviewer that his government now agreed with the assessment "that it could have been handled much better.”

Lim went on to tell Bloomberg Television that what he thought had gone awry was when the brother of the hostage taker came onto the scene. "He was able to skip through the lines and he make a big scene which resulted in him being arrested by the police. And I guess the hostage taker was monitoring this on the television on the bus and I think that turned the situation," Lim said.

The gunman, a former police officer who was angry that he had been dismissed from the force was killed by police.
It is not yet known if the eight hostages who were killed were shot by the gunman or by the police forces trying to end the siege.

The police said its command group noted what it called "some observations and defects" in handling the crisis, including "inadequate capability, skills, equipment and planning of the assault team." Other issues they cited included poor handling of hostage negotiations, side issues and events that agitated the hostage-taker, improper crowd control and a breakdown of media relations procedures in a hostage situation which was beamed live by global news networks. 

The Chinese Ambassador to Manila, Liu Jianchao, met Tuesday with top level officials including Philippine President Benigno Aquino. Presidential spokesman Edwin Lacierda said President Aquino promised a prompt investigation on the incident and said all measures would be taken to avoid a repeat of what happened. Lacierda added that the Chinese ambassador also asked that "the Philippine side take some concrete measures to ensure safety of the Chinese tourists."

According to the spokesman, President Aquino also telephoned Hong Kong Chief Executive Donald Tsang Tuesday after the Hong Kong leader had criticized the rescue Monday. The President expressed regret and deep sorrow for the incident, said Lacierdo.

Volunteers from the large Filipino-Chinese community in Manila offered their help to the survivors along with the relatives of the victims, rushing them to the hospital after the siege and providing translation help.

A Buddhist ceremony was held for the victims Tuesday at the wrecked bus, which remained on the road where the day-long siege had taken place, and President Aquino declared Wednesday a day of mourning in the Philippines.

You May Like

UN: 1 Million Somalis at Risk of Hunger

Group warns region is in dire need of humanitarian aid, with at least 200,000 children under age of five acutely malnourished as drought hits southern, central part of nation More

Human Rights Groups Allege Supression of Freedoms in Thailand

Thailand’s military, police have suppressed release of independent report assessing human rights in kingdom during first 100 days of latest coup More

Jennifer Lawrence Contacts FBI After Nude Photos Hacked

'Silver Linings Playbook' actress' photos were posted on image-sharing forum 4chan; Federal Bureau of Investigations is looking into matter More

This forum has been closed.
Comments
     
There are no comments in this forum. Be first and add one

Featured Videos

Your JavaScript is turned off or you have an old version of Adobe's Flash Player. Get the latest Flash player.
Ukraine Schools Resume Classes, Donate to Government Forcesi
X
September 02, 2014 12:58 PM
A new school year has started in Ukraine but thousands of children in the war-torn east are unable to attend because of ongoing clashes with pro-Russia rebels. In Ukraine's capital, patriotic education has become the norm along with donations to support injured security forces fighting to take back rebel-held areas. VOA's Daniel Schearf reports from Kyiv.
Video

Video Ukraine Schools Resume Classes, Donate to Government Forces

A new school year has started in Ukraine but thousands of children in the war-torn east are unable to attend because of ongoing clashes with pro-Russia rebels. In Ukraine's capital, patriotic education has become the norm along with donations to support injured security forces fighting to take back rebel-held areas. VOA's Daniel Schearf reports from Kyiv.
Video

Video US Detainees Want Negotiators for Freedom in North Korea

The three U.S. detainees held in North Korea were permitted to speak with foreign media Monday. The government of Kim Jong Un restricted the topics of the questions, and the interviews in Pyongyang were limited to five minutes. Each of the men asked Washington to send a representative to Pyongyang to secure his release. VOA’s Carolyn Presutti has our story.
Video

Video Internet, Technology Offer New Tools for Journalists

The Internet and rapidly evolving technology is quickly changing how people receive news and how journalists deliver it. There are now more ways to tell a story than ever before. One school in Los Angeles is teaching the next generation of journalists with the help of a state-of-the-art newsroom. Elizabeth Lee has this report.
Video

Video Turkmen From Amerli Describe Survival of IS Siege

Over the past few weeks, hundreds of Shi'ite Turkmen have fled the town of Amerli seeking refuge in the northern city of Kirkuk. Despite recent military gains after U.S. airstrikes that were coordinated with Iraqi and Kurdish forces, the situation remains dire for Amerli’s residents. Sebastian Meyer went to Kirkuk for VOA to speak to those who managed to escape.
Video

Video West Africa Ebola Vaccine Trials Possible by Early 2015

A U.S. health agency is speeding up clinical trials of a possible vaccine against the deadly Ebola virus that so far has killed more than 1,500 people in West Africa. If successful, the next step would be a larger trial in countries where the outbreak is occurring. VOA's Carol Pearson has more.
Video

Video Survivors Commemorate 70th Anniversary of Nazi Liquidation of Jewish Ghetto

When the German Nazi army occupied the Polish city of Lodz in 1939, it marked the beginning of a long nightmare for the Jewish community that once made up one third of the population. Roughly 200,000 people were forced into the Lodz Ghetto. Less than 7,000 survived. As VOA’s Kane Farabaugh reports, some survivors gathered at the Union League Club in Chicago on the 70th anniversary of the liquidation of the Lodz Ghetto to remember those who suffered at the hands of the Nazi regime.
Video

Video Cost to Raise Child in US Continues to Rise

The cost of raising a child in the United States continues to rise. In its latest annual report, the U.S. Department of Agriculture says middle income families with a child born in 2013 can expect to spend more than $240,000 before that child turns 18. And sending that child to college more than doubles that amount. VOA’s Deborah Block visited with a couple with one child in Alexandria, Virginia, to learn if the report reflects their lifestyle.
Video

Video Chaotic Afghan Vote Recount Threatens Nation’s Future

Afghanistan’s troubled presidential election continues to be rocked by turmoil as an audit of the ballots drags on. The U.N. says the recount will not be completed before September 10. Observers say repeated disputes and delays are threatening the orderly transfer of power and could have dangerous consequences. VOA correspondent Meredith Buel reports.

AppleAndroid