Accessibility links

Breaking News

Cause of Heath Ledger's Death Ruled Accidental Overdose

The New York City medical examiner's office says the death of actor Heath Ledger was an accident caused by a mix of prescription drugs.

A statement released by the medical examiner's office Wednesday said Ledger died from the combined effects of six prescription drugs, which included pain killers, sleeping pills and anti-anxiety medications (oxycodone, hydrocodone, diazepam, temazepam, alprazolam and doxylamine).

The 28-year-old Australian-born actor was found dead near several medication bottles in his Manhattan apartment on January 22.

Ledger was nominated for an Academy Award for his role in the 2005 movie Brokeback Mountain.

He will appear as the Joker in the latest Batman movie, the Dark Knight, which is due out later this year.

Ledger has a daughter, Matilda, 2, from his relationship with actress Michelle Williams, who played his wife in Brokeback Mountain. The couple broke up in September.

Some information for this report was provided by AP and Reuters.