Indiana Governor Mike Pence is Donald Trump’s choice for running mate. Pence is with the Republican Party.
Here are some important facts to know about him:
- In his speech to the Republican National Convention in July when he accepted the nomination for vice president, Pence described himself as “a Christian, a conservative and a Republican, in that order.”
- Pence the politician has represented Indiana’s Sixth Congressional District in Congress for six terms before becoming Indiana's governor, according to his website.
- The Washington Post said Trump picked Pence because the leadership in the Republican Party likes Pence, and so do the social conservatives within the party. Essentially, Trump wanted to calm down Republicans with this pick, who may be nervous about Trump being at the top of the ticket, the Post said.
- In 2015, Pence was caught up in controversy surrounding a “religious freedom” bill he signed as governor of Indiana. The Washington Post reported that this “Religious Freedom Restoration Act came under fire nationally, with c ritics contending that it could allow businesses to refuse to serve gay and lesbian patrons.” However, to the disdain of many social conservatives, Pence revised the bill so it could not be used in a discriminatory way.
- Pence originally endorsed Texas Senator Ted Cruz in the primaries, just four days before voters in Indiana went to the polls. However, he is now a strong supporter of Trump.
- The Washington Post said that Pence was “an early advocate for the Tea Party movement.” The Tea Party is a populist movement on the far right of the Republican Party that promotes cutting taxes, small government, and not compromising on the issues.
- The foreign policy that Pence supports is similar to Trump’s. Pence says he believes in a stronger American military, is a supporter of Israel, and supports tough interrogation methods. (The New York Times)
Fun Fact: Pence’s favorite ice cream flavor is "Moose Tracks," composed of vanilla ice cream
, fudge and peanut butter cups. His favorite movie is the American classic, “The Wizard of Oz.” (Pence Fun Facts
Please leave a comment and visit us on our Facebook page, thanks!