Accessibility links

Breaking News

Rains Again Cancel Cricket Test Match Between India and Sri Lanka

The first cricket test between India and Sri Lanka is in danger of being a washout after rain in Chennai (Madras), India forced play to be abandoned for the second day in a row.

Thunderstorms waterlogged the Chepauk Ground and match umpires Daryl Harper and Mark Benson called off play after inspecting the field.

Friday's first day of the test was also canceled because of rain and more rain is forecast for Sunday. Cyclone Baaz in the Bay of Bengal has weakened, but is still pelting the Indian coast with rain.

The Board of Control for Cricket in India met Saturday in Bombay to select a venue for the third test. The northern city of Kanpur has offered to host the match, but Ahmadabad was selected as an alternate venue if Kanpur cannot.

Elsewhere, Pakistan's cricket team has defeated England by an innings and 100 runs to take their three-test series, 2-0, in Lahore.

Pace bowler Shoaib Akhtar grabbed five wickets while allowing 71 runs as Pakistan held England to 248 all out in its second innings. The English had scored 288 all out in their first innings and could not catch the home side's massive total of 636 for eight declared.

Pakistan won the first test by 22 runs and the second test was a draw. The loss ends England's test series winning streak. The English had not lost a test series in more than two years, including beating Australia in the Ashes series this year.

England and Pakistan will next play five one-day internationals before England returns home December 22nd.

Meanwhile, Australia's cricket team has defeated New Zealand by 147 runs in the first match of the Chappell-Hadlee limited overs cricket series in Auckland.

New Zealand won the toss and sent the Aussies in to bat first. Australia reached 252 for eight in 50 overs with Ricky Ponting scoring 63 runs.

New Zealand then could manage only 105 all out in 27-point-four overs with Jacob Oram's 23 the top score. Aussie bowlers Brett Lee (3-5) and Stuart Clark (3-19) both took three wickets.

The next match is scheduled for Wellington on Wednesday.

Some information for this report provided by AP and AFP.