A group of international agencies says last month was the worst for attacks against aid workers in Sudan's Darfur region.
CARE, the International Rescue Committee, Oxfam International and World Vision said in a joint statement Tuesday that July was the most dangerous month for aid workers since the Darfur conflict began more than three years ago. Rebels killed eight workers last month, and they hijacked or stole more than 20 humanitarian vehicles.
Regional Director for Oxfam Paul Smith-Lomas says the targeting of humanitarian workers is completely unacceptable.
The United Nations said today that more aid workers have been killed in the last two weeks than in the previous two years.
Violence in Darfur continues despite a May 5 peace agreement between Sudan's government and the largest of the region's rebel groups.
Fighting between rebel groups, the government and militias has killed about 200,000 people and displaced another 2 million from their homes.