Officials in Afghanistan say two suicide bomb attacks in the south of the country have wounded seven Afghan policemen and one foreign soldier.
In the first of Thursday's attacks, authorities say a suicide bomber blew himself up at a police checkpoint in Uruzgan province, wounding seven policemen.
Several hours later in neighboring Kandahar province, the unidentified foreign soldier was wounded when another suicide attacker set off his bomb near a convoy of coalition and Afghan troops.
In another part of Kandahar province, officials say gunmen abducted a party of medical workers traveling to a refugee camp. At least 15 people were kidnapped, including doctors and nurses.
Earlier, U.S.-led coalition forces said they killed eight militants Wednesday in a gun battle in the eastern province of Kunar.
A military statement says militants attacked coalition troops in the Asadabad district of Kunar, which borders Pakistan.
The two sides exchanged rifle and machine-gun fire during the battle, in which eight militants were killed. Military authorities in Kabul say no coalition troops were hurt.
U.S. troops in Afghanistan have been focusing on fighting insurgents near the Pakistani border since NATO forces took over security operations in southern Afghanistan last month (July 31).
In the southeastern province of Khost, Afghan and coalition forces said they detained eight suspected al-Qaida collaborators Wednesday during raids on two compounds.
Some information for this report was provided by AFP, AP and Reuters.