Britain's Prince Harry will not be deployed to Iraq as previously planned due to specific threats against his life.
In London Wednesday, General Richard Dannatt said the prince would not deploy as a troop commander with his squadron. The British Army Chief of Staff said the specific threats would have exposed Prince Harry and those around him to a degree of risk he considered unacceptable.
In a statement, the prince's office said Prince Harry was disappointed he would not be able to go to Iraq with his troops as planned. It said, however, the prince understood General Dannatt's decision and remains committed to his army career.
Earlier reports said Iraqi insurgents threatened to kidnap the prince, who is third in line to the British throne.
Prince Harry, formally known as Troop Commander Wales, is a second lieutenant in the British army. He would have commanded 11 soldiers and four tanks in southern Iraq.
He would have been the first British royal family member to serve in combat since his uncle, Prince Andrew, flew helicopters over the Falkland Islands during a 1982 war with Argentina.
Some information for this report was provided by AFP and AP.