Afghan officials say two suicide car bombings in the country's capital and in the east have killed two foreigners and wounded scores of other people.
In Kabul, a bomber rammed his car into a security convoy early Thursday, killing two guards and wounding eight others, including two Afghans.
Hours later, another suicide bomber hit a NATO vehicle in eastern Paktika province, injuring both foreign troops and Afghan civilians.
The Taleban claimed responsibility for both attacks.
Also Thursday, the U.S. Army colonel responsible for operations in northeastern Afghanistan said the Taleban has infiltrated one of the provinces there.
Colonel Jonathan Ives said the insurgents chose Kapisa province because it gives them access to Kabul, only about 30 kilometers away.
In other violence, in Zabul province in the southeast, government officials said Taleban militants beheaded a 15-year-old boy they accused of spying for foreign forces. His decapitated body was found Thursday - one day after he was kidnapped.
In central Ghazni province, the Taleban freed at least 17 Afghan mine clearing experts abducted last week.
Some information for this report was provided by Reuters.