Jailed Bosnian Serb war crimes suspect Radovan Karadzic is demanding financial compensation in a claim accusing Serbian authorities of kidnapping him last year when taking him into custody.
Karadzic, in a motion filed with the International War Crimes Tribunal for the Former Yugoslavia, says Serbian authorities falsely announced his arrest on July 21, 2008. He says they actually arrested him three days earlier, but did not take him before a judge until July 22.
Karadzic, the Bosnian Serb leader during the conflict of the 1990s in Bosnia-Herzegovina, is awaiting trial on 11 charges of genocide and crimes against humanity. Most of those charges stem from his role in the 44-month siege of Sarajevo, which left thousands of people dead.
His lawyers have blanketed the tribunal with a series of pre-trial motions, triggering concern that hearings on them and the trial itself may not conclude before the tribunal's mandate ends.
Last month, the judge overseeing the trial said Karadzic's trial is unlikely to begin before September.
Some information for this report was provided by AFP.