The United States is reported to have agreed to a South Korean request to delay its planned troop reduction in the country until 2008.
South Korea's Yonhap news agency said Monday that under a tentative agreement to be announced this week the deadline will be pushed back three years.
Washington originally planned to withdraw 12,500 troops - a third of the number deployed in South Korea - by next year.
Yonhap also said U.S. military authorities agreed to scrap their plan to withdraw multiple launch rocket system units from the border with North Korea.
President Bush announced last month that up to 70,000 US troops will eventually leave Europe and Asia in a major force redeployment related to the war on terror.