American film star Harrison Ford is expected to make a full recovery after crash-landing his single-engine airplane Thursday, shortly after taking off from Santa Monica Municipal Airport in California.
Officials said the 72-year-old actor was breathing and conscious when he was taken to a nearby hospital, where he was listed in fair to moderate condition. He suffered a broken pelvis and ankle, local news outlet KTLA quoted a source close to the family as saying. His publicist said Ford's injuries were "not life-threatening."
"Dad is OK. Battered, but OK!" Ford's son, Ben, posted on Twitter after the accident. "He is every bit the man you would think he is. He is an incredibly strong man."
Ford, best known for his roles as the space hero Han Solo in the "Star Wars" series and the archaeological adventurer in the Indiana Jones films, was the only person aboard the World War II-era aircraft at the time.
He was forced to make an emergency landing after reporting engine failure to air traffic controllers. A recording of the exchange was obtained by media outlets.
Ford made the crash landing on a golf course, where doctors who happened to be playing at the time came to his aid.
The actor is an aviation enthusiast who owns and pilots several planes.
Last year, he suffered a broken leg while filming in Britain on the set of "Star Wars: Episode VII," in which he is reprising his role as Han Solo. Production on the movie was halted for two weeks as he began his recovery.