Authorities in Jacksonville, Florida, say a gunman shot dead two people and wounded nine others before killing himself at a video game event Sunday.
The attack happened inside a restaurant at the Jacksonville Landing, a popular riverfront entertainment area with stores and restaurants in the downtown section of the city.
Jacksonville Sheriff Mike Williams said at the time of the shooting there were a large number of people inside a pizza restaurant that was hosting a tournament for the "Madden NFL '19" football video game.
Williams said investigators are still working to determine the motive for the attack.
So far, he said authorities believe the lone shooter was 24-year-old David Katz from Baltimore, Maryland, and that he used a single handgun.
Williams said the suspect was in Jacksonville for the competition, and that it was not yet clear if he knew the victims.
Eleven people either were taken to the hospital or went there on their own, including nine with gunshot wounds and two others who sustained injuries while fleeing the gunfire.
UF Health Jacksonville said its trauma center received six patients, and that by Sunday night four of them had been released. One person remained in serious condition and the other in good condition.
Florida Governor Rick Scott said he had promised Mayor Lenny Curry and other officials in Jacksonville any state support they might need. He also said President Donald Trump had called and offered any federal help the state may need following the shooting.
Trump did not make any public statement about the attack. Press Secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders said the White House was monitoring the situation.
EA Sports, which makes the "Madden" video game series, said it is "devastated" by the attack.
"The tragic situation that occurred Sunday in Jacksonville was a senseless act of violence that we strongly condemn," it said in a statement. "Our most heartfelt sympathies go out to the families of the victims whose lives were taken today and those who were injured."