Here are the latest developments in Afghanistan as of August 27:
* U.S. Army General Hank Taylor said Friday a single suicide bomber, not two as previously believed, carried out Thursday’s attack.
* Pentagon spokesman John Kirby said the U.S. believes there are other “specific credible” threats against Kabul airport.
* Despite the risks, crowds of people desperate to leave Afghanistan gathered outside Kabul’s airport early Friday as evacuation flights resumed.
* A VOA reporter who visited the area outside the airport later in the day saw mostly empty streets, with Taliban security blocking access to nearby streets.
* About 106,000 people have left Afghanistan on evacuation flights since August 14, the day before the Taliban entered Kabul.
* General Taylor said some gates to the airport have been closed, but U.S. personnel continue to process for departure American citizens, SIV applicants and vulnerable Afghans who have the proper credentials