Facts About Sikhism
* World's fifth-largest religion, more than 25 million followers
* Monotheistic, originated in Punjab, India, more than 500 years ago with Guru Nanak, first prophet. Nine gurus, "enlighteners," have followed.
* Articles of faith include unshorn hair (kesh) to symbolize harmony with God, steel bracelet (kara), ceremonial dagger (kirpan), small comb (kanga) and undergarment shorts (kachera)
* Turbans worn as commitment to faith
* Belief in absolute equality, social welfare and fight against injustice as sacred duties
— from Sikh Coalition, Reuters, Religion News Service