A published report says a five-week investigation by U.S. intelligence and law enforcement officials has revealed no direct evidence of a terror plot to disrupt the upcoming U.S. election.
The Washington Post reports that last month the FBI and the CIA briefed President Bush about concerns that terrorists may be planning a mass-casualty attack before Election Day November 2.
The newspaper says the information prompted hundreds of interviews, scores of immigration arrests and other preventative measures.
According to the Washington Post, U.S. officials who asked not to be identified now say a key source of the information was discredited, casting doubt on other indications of a possible attack before Election Day.
The intelligence officials warn however, that terror groups are still intent on launching an attack in U.S. territory.
Some information for this story provided by Reuters.