The Haitian government has ordered a review of results from last week's presidential elections following accusations by front-runner Rene Preval that massive fraud and gross errors were committed.
Authorities announced Tuesday that a commission, involving the electoral council, the president's office and Mr. Preval's party, will be formed.
With 90 percent of the votes counted, Mr. Preval has won nearly 49 percent of the vote, but short of the 50 percent needed to avoid a runoff election in March.
Mr. Preval says he will contest the results if denied a first-round victory. His supporters have staged angry demonstrations accusing officials of trying to force a runoff. Mr. Preval has called on them to continue the demonstrations, but in a peaceful manner.
Haitian media outlets have reported the discovery of several ballot boxes in a garbage dump. A U.N. spokesman says the ballots could have come from nine polling stations that were ransacked on election day, equaling the loss of 35,000 ballots.Some information for this report was provided by AFP, AP and Reuters.