Iran's Foreign Ministry says Tehran will not suspend its uranium enrichment program, rejecting a key demand of the U.N. Security Council.
Foreign Ministry spokesman Hamid Reza Asefi told reporters in Tehran Sunday suspending enrichment is not on the government's agenda.
The Security Council passed a resolution last month calling on Iran to stop enriching uranium by August 31 or face possible sanctions. Western nations accuse Iran of trying to develop nuclear weapons, a charge Tehran denies.
Asefi dismissed the U.N. resolution as unacceptable and without legal basis. He says the only way to resolve the nuclear dispute is through negotiations.
The resolution offers Iran a package of energy and trade benefits in return for a freeze of its enrichment program.
Iran has said it will give its response to the incentives by August 22.
The package was proposed by the U.N. Security Council's five permanent members, the U.S., Britain, France, Russia and China, plus Germany.
Some information for this report provided by Reuters and AFP.