Afghan officials say suspected Taliban militants have burned down a primary school, in the latest attack on the country's burgeoning education system.
Education officials say the militants torched the school building Friday in southern Kandahar province. There were no reports of injuries.
The local education chief, Mohammed Anwar, said nearly 1,200 students, including about 200 girls, had studied at the school.
Under Taliban rule, girls were not allowed to go to school. But since the U.S.-led invasion pushed the Taliban from power in 2001, the education system has benefited from reconstruction efforts.
Despite its success, increasing violence is making it hard for students to attend classes. The Education Ministry says 300,000 children did not go to school last year because of security concerns.
Also Friday, officials say troops killed at least three suspected Taliban militants in neighboring Zabul province.
Some information for this report was provided by AFP and AP.