The U.S.-led coalition, Afghan government and the United Nations have
agreed to jointly investigate last week's U.S. air strike that
witnesses say killed some 90 civilians in western Afghanistan.
for the NATO-led force Brigadier General Richard Blanchette Saturday
announced the joint probe to clear up discrepancies in casualty
The U.S.-led coalition has said five civilians and 25
militants were killed on August 22, when troops called in air strikes
following an attack by militants in the village of Azizabad in Herat
Afghan officials dispute the number, saying 90
civilians, most of them children, were killed. The United Nations has
said it found "convincing evidence" of the higher death toll after an
U.N. officials today confirmed that all sides had agreed to investigate the incident together.
and U.S. military officials insist they take great care in targeting
air strikes, but militants frequently hide in civilian areas.
Saturday, Afghan officials say international soldiers have survived a
suicide bombing in the capital of Kabul. They say the bomber blew up
his explosive-filled vehicle today, but failed to inflict any
casualties on the troops or nearby civilians.
coalition says its forces killed several militants in clashes and air
strikes in Kapisa province, not far from Kabul. Officials say the
fighting took place Friday, and that air strikes were called in after
coalition forces came under attack.
Some information for this report was provided by AFP and AP.