Spanish golfer and five-time major winner Seve Ballesteros has undergone surgery on a recently diagnosed brain tumor.
A spokeswoman at La Paz hospital in Spain said Wednesday that a large part of Ballesteros' tumor was removed in a 12-hour operation on Tuesday. The tumor will be analyzed before doctors decide on further treatment.
In a statement Wednesday, doctors said Ballesteros is conscious and in stable condition. The 51-year-old Ballesteros was admitted to the hospital October 6 after fainting briefly.
Ballesteros won the Masters twice and a record 50 tournament on the European Tour, including three British Opens. He retired last year after years of chronic back pain and knee problems.
Some information for this report was provided by AFP and AP.