A young Afghan who was detained without charge for more than six years at the U.S. military prison at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba plans to sue the U.S. government.
A lawyer for Mohammed Jawad, Maj. Eric Montalvo, announced the action in Kabul Thursday.
Jawad returned to Afghanistan this week after a U.S. federal judge ruled he had been detained illegally. The judge called his case "an outrage."
His lawyer, appointed by the U.S. military, praised the ruling - but said a better legal system must be established to fairly process other detainees.
Jawad was arrested in Afghanistan in 2002 for allegedly throwing a grenade that wounded two U.S. soldiers. His attorneys say he was 12 years old at the time of his arrest, while the U.S. military said medical tests showed he was about 17.
Some information for this report was provided by AFP, AP and Reuters.