North Korea has firmly denied charges that it is behind a massive cyber-attack against Sony Pictures.
A North Korean diplomat in New York told VOA Wednesday his country has nothing to do with the cyber-attack that crippled the Hollywood studio’s computer system last week.
"Linking the DPRK to the Sony hacking is another fabrication targeting the country," said the official, who preferred to remain anonymous.
"My country publicly declared that it would follow international norms banning hacking and piracy," the official claimed.
This is the first time the North has denied its involvement in the cyber-attack on Sony. Pyongyang has been largely silent on the accusation, sparking rampant speculation that Pyongyang might have sponsored the attack.
Some press linked the cyber-attack to Pyongyang’s anger over Sony’s upcoming comedy "The Interview," the plot of which involves an attempted assassination of the North Korean leader Kim Jong Un.
Earlier, the North denounced the movie and vowed to "mercilessly destroy" anyone associated with it. Pyongyang also sent a letter to the White House asking President Obama to stop the movie, calling the distribution of the film "undisguised sponsoring of terrorism."
The movie is scheduled for release on Christmas Day in more than 60 countries around the world, including the U.S.