Islamic State claimed responsibility on Friday for a suicide car bombing this week in the eastern Libyan town of Ajdabiya, the militant group's news agency Amaq said on Friday.
The explosion struck a checkpoint on Thursday at the eastern exit of Ajdabiya, a town south of Benghazi, a military source said. It is close to the oil export ports of Brega and Zueitina.
Amaq said 14 troops of General Khalifa Haftar had been killed of wounded. His forces allied to a parallel government based in the east control Ajdabiya and much of eastern Libya. According to medics, six people were killed and nine
Islamic State, which lost in 2016 its stronghold Sirte in central Libya, had in October claimed an attack about 60 km (37 miles) south of Ajdabiya during which two soldiers were killed.
The group has retreated since the fall of Sirte to camps in the desert in southern Libya from where it has launched suicide bombings and attacks in coastal towns.