Accessibility links

8th Victim Confirmed in London Bridge Attack

  • VOA News

A police officer speaks to forensic investigators outside a property which was raided by police in East Ham, east London, Britain, June 5, 2017.

British police have confirmed another victim in last week's London Bridge terror attack, after they pulled a body out of the Thames River.

Police identified the victim Wednesday as Xavier Thomas, a Frenchman.

Tuesday, London Metropolitan Police identified the third attacker killed by officers during the attack as 22-year-old Youssef Zaghba. They say he was an Italian national of Moroccan descent who lived in East London. He had not been a subject of interest for security officials.

Authorities identified the other two attackers Monday as British citizen Khuram Shazad Butt and Rachid Redouane, who also lived in East London.

A combo handout issued by the Metropolitan Police, June 6, 2017, shows Khuram Shazad Butt (L), Rachid Redouane (C), and Youssef Zaghba who have been named as the suspects in Saturday's attack at London Bridge. (Metropolitan Police via AP)
A combo handout issued by the Metropolitan Police, June 6, 2017, shows Khuram Shazad Butt (L), Rachid Redouane (C), and Youssef Zaghba who have been named as the suspects in Saturday's attack at London Bridge. (Metropolitan Police via AP)

Police said Butt was previously known to authorities, but had not been viewed as a serious threat because they had no intelligence to suggest the attack was being planned.

Counterterrorism police arrested a 27-year-old man Tuesday in East London, but did not say how he might be connected to the attack.

Police have said Saturday's attack involved three men who were inside a van that struck pedestrians on London Bridge, and then got out and stabbed numerous people at a nearby market area before being shot dead by police.

The Islamic State group claimed responsibility for the attack through its Amaq news agency.

XS
SM
MD
LG