Belgium's federal prosecutor said Saturday that Paris attacks suspect Mohamed Abrini has admitted that he was the "man in the hat" seen accompanying two suicide bombers at Brussels Zaventem airport on March 22.
In a series of raids Friday, Belgian police arrested five people, including Abrini, 31, a Belgian of Moroccan descent suspected to be linked with the Paris and Brussels attacks.
Belgian prosecutors charged four more suspects Saturday linked to the deadly suicide bombings in Brussels last month that killed 32 people and wounded many others.
Detained suspects, identified as Mohamed Abrini, Osama K., Herve B. M. and Bilal E. M. were charged with participating in “terrorist murders” and “activities of a terrorist group” in the March 22 attacks on Brussels' airport and on a metro station, prosecution officials said in a statement.
Earlier Saturday, Belgian authorities confirmed the arrest of a sixth person in connection with the Brussels attacks, without giving further details.
A police raid was conducted Saturday in the central Brussels district of Etterbeek, but no arrests were made there.
Two other suspects arrested this week have been release “after thorough interrogation,” the statement said.
Despite multiple arrests in connection with the November 13 attacks in Paris and the deadly Brussels bombings in March, Belgium’s capital remains under the second-highest terror alert, because of the likelihood of another attack.