Accessibility links

Breaking News

State Dept. Launches New J-1 Visa Website

The State Department today launched a new website dedicated to providing information on J-1 visas. J-1 visas apply to exchange programs and must be sponsored through an established exchange visitor program. They're used in many different scenarios, but one common one is for summer work travel programs in the U.S.

If you're confused about all the types of visas, take a look at this previous post, which explained a bit about the difference between F-1, M-1 and J-1 visas.

You may remember that the J-1 visa program gave us one entry in our unfortunately long list of cautionary tales, so if you're planning to come to the U.S. on a J-1, make sure you do your research. This new website, and the State Department's pre-existing site,, are good places to start.

Are you in the U.S. this summer on a J-1 visa? Tell us how it's been so far in the comments or by emailing