Accessibility links

Breaking News

Washington State Officer Killed; Suspect at Large

Hospital and law enforcement workers stand at an entrance to Tacoma General Hospital in Tacoma, Washington, as they wait for the body of a Tacoma Police officer who was shot and killed while answering a domestic violence call Nov. 30, 2016, to be removed from the hospital in a procession.

A dozen police held positions around a house early Thursday where a suspect accused of fatally shooting a Tacoma police officer hours earlier was believed to still be barricaded inside.

The officer was shot multiple times while responding to a domestic violence call Wednesday afternoon.

Officer not yet identified

Tacoma Police spokeswoman Loretta Cool said the officer was pronounced dead at the hospital after nightfall.

“We’ve suffered a great loss and I think the community has suffered a great loss. I don’t know how to put that into words,” Cool said.

After the death of the officer, who hasn’t been publicly identified, a procession of law enforcement officers from around the region escorted the body from the hospital to the county medical examiner’s office.

Standoff continues

After 2 a.m. PST Thursday, the standoff was ongoing with many emergency vehicles with flashing lights and numerous officers posted outside the home where the suspect was thought to be. Cool said earlier that the neighborhood had been locked down while officers from multiple agencies were “working to bring it to a peaceful resolution.”

She also said it’s possible the suspect, who hasn’t been identified, could have left while police were removing the wounded officer from the scene. She said that’s why the large neighborhood perimeter had been set up.

Cool said police responded to the home Wednesday afternoon and that shortly after arriving, officers called for backup.

Reacting to shots fired, arriving officers entered the home and managed to get the wounded officer outside and to a hospital, Cool said. She had said the officer had been undergoing surgery before the death was announced.

It wasn’t immediately clear what led to the shooting.

In a statement, Washington Gov. Jay Inslee said he and his wife, Trudi, were sending their thoughts and prayers to the family and loved ones of the officer.

“All of Washington grieves with Tacoma, which tonight lost one of their finest. Our hearts are with the men and women of the Tacoma Police Department, their families, and their brothers and sisters in law enforcement across Washington.”