The United Nations has reported that one peacekeeper in the Central African Republic has been killed and another injured by armed attackers north of the capital, Bangui.
A U.N. spokesman said Wednesday a convoy traveling between the towns of Damara and Ngerengou was fired on by unidentified gunmen, Tuesday, about 55 kilometers north of the capital. The spokesman said the peacekeeping force returned fire.
U.N. Secretary General Ban Ki-moon has condemned the attack. He urged the attackers to lay down their weapons, and called for swift action to bring the attackers to justice.
On September 28, the Central African Republic's interim leader, Catherine Samba-Panza, returned home early from the U.N. General Assembly because of reports that dozens of people were killed during three days of clashes involving Christians and Muslims, sparked by the death of a Muslim man.
At least three people died when protestors gathered in downtown Bangui to march on the presidential palace.
Protestors blamed U.N. peacekeepers for shooting into the crowd, but the U.N. peacekeeping force, MINUSCA, denied that its troops opened fire on protestors.
Central African Republic erupted in violence in 2013 when Muslim rebels seized Bangui, leading to often brutal attacks and reprisals between rival Christian and Muslim militias. The country has been led by a transitional government since last year.
Elections are scheduled for October 18, but are widely expected to be postponed.