Law enforcement officers gather to investigate information arising the day after a downtown Nashville explosion, outside a duplex house in Antioch, Tennessee, Dec. 26, 2020.
Law enforcement officers gather to investigate information arising the day after a downtown Nashville explosion, outside a duplex house in Antioch, Tennessee, Dec. 26, 2020.

U.S. investigators are working to determine a motive in Friday’s explosion that injured three people, damaged dozens of buildings and disrupted telecommunications systems in the southern city of Nashville, Tennessee.

Authorities announced Sunday they identified 63-year-old Anthony Quinn Warner as the man who blew up a motor home at dawn in a Nashville neighborhood filled with country music bars and restaurants.

"We've come to the conclusion that an individual named Anthony Warner is the bomber, and he was present when the bomb went off and that he perished in the bombing," Donald Cochran, U.S. Attorney for the Middle District of Tennessee, told a news conference.

The Federal Bureau of Investigation said its agents and those from the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives were still recovering and analyzing evidence. The area around the blast remained closed Monday.

“The motive for the incident is still unclear,” the FBI said in a statement late Sunday. “Leads are still being followed, but at this time, there is no indication that any other individuals are involved.”

Investigators on Dec. 26, 2020, walk near the scene of an explosion in Nashville, Tenn. The explosion early Friday shattered windows, damaged buildings and left several people wounded.

Investigators used DNA and other evidence such as locating the vehicle identification number from the motor home and tips from the public to link Warner to the explosion.

They searched Warner’s home Saturday in the suburb of Antioch about 18 kilometers from the blast site.

Several neighbors of Warner said they had seen a light-colored recreational vehicle, like the one that blew up Friday, in the backyard of the Antioch duplex during the last several months.

Authorities said they are still tracking down numerous other tips and have reached no conclusions about how the explosion unfolded.

“These answers won't come quickly and will still require a lot of our team's efforts," FBI Special Agent Doug Korneski told reporters Sunday. "Though we may be able to answer some these questions as our investigation continues, none of those answers will be enough by those affected by this event.”

Public records show that Warner had experience with electronics and alarms. He also worked information technology jobs.

Investigators do not know why Warner chose downtown Nashville for what they described as an “intentional act” and a “deliberate bomb.”

A recreational vehicle that exploded injuring three people and causing massive damage to buildings is seen in Nashville, Tennesse, Dec. 25, 2020. (Metropolitan Nashville Police Department via Reuters)

One theory is that an AT&T communications building was targeted based om the fact that the recreational vehicle was parked near it when the bomb went off.

Communications were affected in several states as the result of the blast, although much of the service was restored by Sunday afternoon.

Nashville Mayor John Cooper told CBS News’ “Face the Nation” show that the location of the bombing, next to the AT&T building, indicated it was meant to be an attack on communications service.

“It feels like there has to be some connection with the AT&T facility and the site of the bombing,” he said. “It’s got to have something to do with the infrastructure.”

Six police officers were credited for saving people from being hurt after a recorded message coming from the vehicle said people should evacuate.

Tony Rodriguez, the resident in the other half of the duplex where Warner lived, told The Washington Post that he never spoke to his neighbor and didn’t know his name.

Rodriguez said on a few occasions he saw the man adjusting an antenna above the house or power-washing the driveway behind their home. Rodriguez said the man posted several “No Trespassing” and warning signs around the property, particularly where he kept the recreational vehicle.