Iran on Monday accused the United States of delays in the negotiations to return to the agreement that limited Iran’s nuclear program in exchange for sanctions relief.
Iranian foreign ministry spokesman Nasser Kanani cited what he called U.S. "procrastination" in responding to Iran's comments on a proposed text drafted by the European Union.
The United States and European Union have been studying the Iranian response since last week.
U.S. State Department spokesman Ned Price told reporters Thursday that the review "continues."
The United States withdrew from the agreement, formally known as the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action, in 2018 when then-President Donald Trump said the deal was too favorable to Iran.
Iran responded to the withdrawal and the imposition of new sanctions by rolling back its commitments that were required under the agreement, including exceeding limits on the amount of enriched uranium it could stockpile and installing more advanced centrifuges at nuclear sites.
A White House statement said U.S. President Joe Biden had a call Sunday with French President Emmanuel Macron, British Prime Minister Boris Johnson and German Chancellor Olaf Scholz in which the leaders "discussed ongoing negotiations over Iran’s nuclear program, the need to strengthen support for partners in the Middle East region, and joint efforts to deter and constrain Iran’s destabilizing regional activities."
Some information for this story came from Agence France-Presse and Reuters.